Sunday, August 5, 2012

Looking Back at the Music of 2009


My 10 Favorite CDs of 2009

Favorite CDs from 2009

1. Strange Light, David Berkeley – The voice of autumn ’09 for me. Plaintive and beautiful. Key tracks: Glory, Sweet Auburn, The Only Broken Man

2. Draw the Line, David Grey – This generation’s Nick Drake. Key Tracks: Nemesis, First Chance, Fugitive.

3. Not Far Now, Richard Shindell – One of my favorite vocalists ever, and a powerful storyteller. Key Tracks: Gethsemane Goodbye, State of the Union, Get Up Clara.

4. Middle Cyclone, Neko Case – Loretta Lynn sung through a Lynchian drug haze. Key Tracks: Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth, The Pharaohs, I’m an Animal. (Bonus points for Most Kick-ass Cover)

5. I and Love and You, The Avett Brothers – Sparse melodies and insightful lyrics. This is the one I see rising on my list as the years go by. Key Tracks: I and Love and You, The Perfect Space, Kick Drum Heart.

6. Ocean Eyes, Owl City – Uber infectious electronic pop, and the biggest surprise of the year for me. Key Tracks: Fireflies, Hello Seattle, On the Wing.

7. Give Up the Ghosts, Brandi Carlile – Full-throated and glorious folkin’ greatness. Key Tracks: Looking Out, Caroline, Before it Breaks.

8. Creaturesque, Throw Me the Statue – Funky synth pop with some killer hooks. Key Tracks: Ancestors, Pistols, Dizzy From the Fall.

9. Wait For Me, Moby – Some of the most beautiful, sweeping melodies of the year. Key Tracks: Pale Horses, A Shot in the Back of the Head, Mistake.

10. Noble Beast, Andrew Bird. The most literate CD I’ve purchased in a while. You might need a dictionary. Key Tracks: Tenuousness, Souverian, Fitz and the Dizzyspells.

One To Grow On:

Sunny Side Up, Paolo Nutini – That voice! My God, that voice! Key Tracks: Candy, Growing Up Beside You, Worried Man.

Favorite CD Purchased This Year, Not Released This Year:

Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes – “Beautiful harmonies” doesn’t go far enough. Key Tracks: White Winter Hymnal, Blue Ridge Mountains, Ragged Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment